Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 

If you want to destroy my sweater...

Do y'all remember that last year, I tried to knit a vest out of leftover yarn. In fact, the pattern was the Leftovers Vest from Knitty. When I was about three-quarters of the way done with it, I tried the vest on, only to find that it was at least fourteen times too big for me. There was no problem with the pattern whatsoever--the error consisted of my inability to accurately judge my own size. Have you ever seen where they give anorexic girls a marker and have them draw a life-size picture of themselves on paper, of how they see themselves, and the picture is about the size of an elephant? Apparently, I am like these girls, but without the anorexia part.

Anyway. I never frogged that partially knit vest. Couldn't bring myself to do it, I hate frogging so much. Two weeks ago, the vest still looked like this:

And then I took the plunge. I turned the vest into this:

Lots of kinky, kinky yarn that took over my dining room table, until I dunked all those individual strands into water and allowed them to dry like this:



Then I wound the strands into many baby balls of yarn, which were not photographed because what I thought would be an afternoon project took THREE DAYS and I was no longer in the mood to photo-journalize. From this stash, I decided to make the kitties a
Kitty Pi, that fabulous pattern that was so popular a couple years ago (and why is that so many knitters have cats?). Lots of knitting and spit-splicing later, voila!

Before felting, modeling on my husband's table saw:

After felting, on my mom's kitchen table:
Pattern: Kitty Pi by Wendy Johnson
Needles: Knit Picks Options, US size 11, 24" cable, used to magic loop and as regular circular needles
Yarn: Cascade 220, double stranded
Comments: This was my first felting project. It was so scary putting my precious knitting into the washing machine! To agitate! I imagined the kitty bed coming out the size of a postage stamp. As it is, it took me three cycles on heavy, and there is still more stitch definition than I wanted. Rick built a mold to dry it/shape it, because I was too cheap to buy the Tupperware pie carrier that's suggested in the pattern (Hello, that's yarn money. Can I get a witness?)

Rick is awesome. And also, now you see why my knitting was anywhere near a table saw. And at least one kitty has taken to the bed so far. My Loki sure loves her some pi!



Comments:
Great job on the kitty pi!
 
oh your kitty pi looks awesome! mine is all squashed flat from the fatties who try to sleep in it.
 
I seem to only blog when you do. :^p I love those colors! Almost wish I had a Nanda Pi. Only there's no way Tupperware makes a pie carrier big enough.. Damn.
 
I'm so sad the vest didn't work out... the colors are great! But... great Pi! Are you making another?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?