Friday, October 20, 2006

 

Nanda's puny plan gets results.

A couple of days ago, I had the pleasure of hearing David Sedaris read some of his stories aloud in Tulsa. I always enjoy reading David’s essays myself, but it is ten times greater to hear him read his own work. His inflections and timing are perfect. And while his writing often elicits a smile and silent chuckles to myself, it is his reading that causes me to laugh my mascara off.

While we were waiting to get our seats, the Nanda turned to me and said point-blank, “When are you going to blog again? It’s been a month, you know.” Actually, Nanda, it had only been fifteen days at that point, but seeing the desperation in your eyes and also knowing what it is to be obsessed with the blog, I've decided it's time to come out of retirement. If this were a movie, I would have one last "job" to do.

To get back in the swing of the blog, I’m going to join Fussy's National Blog Posting Month. I will attempt to blog everyday. Because of this fact, and the fact that I’m still not knitting anything I can blog about (why do I insist on starting Christmas crafts every October?), this will be more of a personal blog and not a knitting blog next month. I kinda feel the need to make that clear, because I often read knit-blogs whose authors ridicule knit-bloggers that discuss their personal lives. Unfortunately, I don’t finish objects frequently enough to make this a pure-blood knit-blog. A Knitblog with a capital K. If I only blogged when I had progress pics and finished objects, Nanda would only get about ten posts a year!

And if I remember correctly, I started this blog (one year ago, this month, actually) as an online journal. Somewhere along the way, I forgot that motivation and started feeling self-conscious about the fact that I don’t knit faster or more often. Knitting became an object on the To-Do List. Knit more! Knit more! In fact, “Knit more” even made it onto my list of New Year’s Resolutions (which, by the way, I would like to officially recant on the grounds of it is October and I am not likely to lose weight/organize my entire house/whatever the hell else I listed within the next two months). The official entry was something like, "Knit more! So you can RELAX!!!!!" And whether it’s a consequence of my attitude towards knitting or not, I have actually spent less time knitting this year than I have since I began the craft in 2003.

So as my one year blogiversay approaches, I plan to transform this site a bit. And by transform, I'm afraid I don't mean that I'm suddenly going to learn how to make a masthead or use a scanner. "Learn to use a computer like a normal person" is not one of the purposes of this blog. By transform, I just mean that I'm going to blog what I want (what I really, really want). No more self-censoring all the time and no more apologizing for the lack of knitting. I'm just going to knit what I want (what I really, really want) and if that means I have fifteen new scarves next year at this time...well, good. I happen to love scarves.


I hope the long-winded self-absorbed rant didn’t scare too many folks off. Though really, what blogger isn’t at least a little self-absorbed? That’s part of the point, right? Oops! I should probably save that topic for another post. I’m gonna need all the inspiration I can muster during the bloggy days of November.

Comments:
Only fifteen days? Only fifteen days?!? Do you KNOW how long FIFTEEN DAYS is in blog years?
 
Ah, I bet Sedaris was so much fun! We saw him a year ago when he read for FREE at Barnes and Noble.

You should have called me and let me know you were in town. Wait, scratch that..I was watching Project Runway.

Hope you had a great time! And good luck with the blogging thing.
 
I wholeheartedly support the idea that blogs don't have to be Knitblogs, or Stitchblogs or whatever. I am often disappointed that I can't "get to know" a knitblogger because all they post are knitting pictures.

I like knowing you :) (How bout that climbing weekend, btw?) hehe
 
Good for you! Blog what your heart wants you to blog.

Reading 100% knitting content can be boring. : )
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?