Tuesday, July 04, 2006

 

Happy Fourth!

Ever since I read the biography of John Adams by David McCullough (easily titled John Adams, thank you Author!), I have wondered why we celebrate our Independence Day on the fourth of July. Sure, it's the day that everyone approved Jefferson's wording of the Declaration of Independence. Oh wait, I take that back. They didn't all approve, and actually changed it up a bit before signing. They were probably arguing about what the definition of "is" is.

Anyway, it bothers me that we celebrate the signing of the declaration, when (in my frequently not so humble opinion) we ought to celebrate the decision to declare independence. The vote to declare. And that vote occurred on July 2, 1776. In fact, I just looked up Independence Day on Wikipedia (good God, how I love Wikipedia), and there is a quote from John Adams right here:

"The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more."

Now, I must admit I have a couple issues with this statement. The first being that I don't really feel the need to celebrate anything with guns. Please, listen to me, not John Adams, and leave your guns at home when you celebrate. Especially if I'm going to be in attendance. Thank you.

Second issue: he's talking about celebrating "from one end of this continent to the other". What direction is he implying? Does he mean from the north end to the south end, or from the east end to the west end? Was Manifest Destiny already present here? Do I need to look up Manifest Destiny on Wikipedia? Why not? It's 4:13 in the morning and I'm supposed to be packing for a little trip but instead I'm blog-hopping and also, maybe, watching movies.

The point of all this (ha! You thought I'd forgotten!), is that the second of July WAS ROBBED. Oh well. I guess we got the pomp and parade and shows right, even if we do it on the wrong day. I mean you no disrespect, you fourth day of July, you. I'm just saying is all.

Now I think I'll knit a little on my Harry Potter scarf. Though I think Mr. Adams would probably disapprove of me spending Independence day morning knitting a scarf based off the one worn by my favorite British wizards.
P.S. Knitting scarves in the round means it takes twice as long to finish. Therefore, imagine I actually have 3 feet done instead of 1.5. If you are capable of this leap of the imagination, then by all means, go ahead and also pretend that my stitches are even and my rows of color are the same size.

P.P.S. I'll be out of town the next several days. We're headed to what I think is one of America's prettiest places. More when I return.

P.P.P.S. For a laugh, read the "Picnics and Barbecues" section from the Wikipedia link above. Funny how I never knew that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are standard Fourth of July party food. (And just so you know, no more post-scripts after this, I swear). Happy Fourth!

Comments:
Your scarf is lovely. I'm so torn between the original scarf or the PoA style scarf for myself. Lately I'm leaning more towards what yours looks like!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?