Thursday, March 23, 2006

 

Size does matter

And in this case, thirty-two inches is just not going to cut it.

So I've been knitting away, knitting away, knitting away on my leftovers vest. This morning, though, I happened to look down at my progress and realized, "This is too small." A few quick swipes with the tape measure confirmed my worst fear: my gauge is off.

I actually did everything right going into this project. I knit up swatches until I got the right gauge, 5 stiches per inch, but I must have knit looser in my swatch than I do in real life, because now I'm at 6 stitches per inch! Six stitches per inch, folks! That translates to a 32-inch round sweater instead of the 38 inches that I need.

For a couple hours this morning, I considered leaving the vest in its teensy size. I could give it to someone else this way, because who cares, it's just leftovers, right? Maybe Lindsay Lohan would like it? I even thought that blocking the hell out of it might just give me those six extra inches back. When I started to contemplate a strict diet and a breast reduction, I realized that the time had come to frog the damn thing already.


It may look big in this extreme close-up, but trust me, it's not going to fit over the girls. So thirty-two inch leftovers vest, may you rest in peace. In your next life, you will be knit on bigger needles so that the tight knitter from hell won't squeeze six inches out of your width.

Comments:
That's got to be one of the worst things I've ever heard. Well, not the WORST, there is global warming and starving kids and Michael Jackson, but it's pretty darn sucky.
 
Good idea! Maybe Michael Jackson would like this pint-sized vest for one of his little friends!
 
Well I must say... The colors freakin rock anyway.
 
awww, I say call it a dry run... the next time it will be perfect! It was looking great, the colors, the stripes... but it's always nice when things fit!

I've made two sweaters too small already, but I must be in a somewhat permanent state of cluelessness, I never realize until the sweater is done.

Or maybe I'm the most hopelessly optimistic person ever.... yea, that's it.
 
Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has sizing issues! Now I just have to keep myself from overcompensating and making it too large!

And I do love the colors. Every time I see the bright orange, it makes me happy. lol
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?